Instructions for PhD Thesis Series on Infrastructures
Please follow these instructions when you are about to print and publish your Next Generation Infrastructures thesis.
- Inform the Next Generation Infrastructures programme bureau as soon as possible (email@example.com) that you are about to complete your thesis, and report the title, author and other relevant data of your book. Most PhD’s use their full first name on the cover as author (example: “Eric A. B. de Bruijn”).
- Obtain your own unique series number and corresponding ISBN number from the Next Generation Infrastructures programme bureau. Your book will have “Next Generation Infrastructures Foundation” as its publisher. Please note that once you have obtained these numbers, they cannot be changed.
Content and formatting
- Make sure that the funding from the Next Generation Infrastructures is acknowledged in your thesis. Use the foreword or the copyright page for this.
- Make sure the publisher on the copyright page is “Next Generation Infrastructures Foundation”.
This is a requirement for the ISBN catalogueing data.
- Insert the “PhD Thesis Series on Infrastructures” catalogue as the last page of your thesis (will be forwarded to you together with your ISBN number, it must be a version that lists all publications preceding yours). You are allowed to change the font and font size, but do not change the text in any way.
- The cover design of a thesis is 75% standardised: you can put a half-page personal visual on the front. Please refer to the images on the next page for some examples.
- There are no formatting requirements for the internals of your thesis. However, it’s a good idea to examine a thesis in the series (from number 19 onwards) to see how your formatting compares.
Cover and printing
- GildePrint in Enschede is our preferred supplier for printing your thesis. They offer a 15% discount for Next Generation Infrastructures PhD’s and they have the layout of the official Next Generation Infrastructures cover design in their systems. Therefore, they only need your cover data (name, title, subtitle, summary, series number and ISBN number) and a high-quality visual to produce the cover for you. Of course, they will send the cover for your (and Next Generation Infrastructures’s) approval before printing it.
- All details and checklists about formatting, printing and publishing your thesis can be found at the GildePrint website (www.gildeprint.nl) and downloadable as a PDF from the GildePrint website.
- GildePrint is able to print invitations for your promotion in full colour on the same thick cover paper as your thesis at no extra cost (because of the printing plate size). Just a tip!
Next Generation Infrastructures Foundation
2600 GA DELFT
Cover design examples
Below are some examples of thesis covers that adhere to the Next Generation Infrastructures design guidelines.
- Thesis #19, D.B. Agusdinata
Next to the cover on the right you can see the invitation for the public defense of this research.
An invitation like this is fitted on the otherwise unused space on the printing plate and can therefore be printed on the same thick cover paper in full colour at no extra cost.
- Thesis #13, R.R. Negenborn
As you can see from these examples, a monochrome vector illustration can also be used –
either with or without a coloured background